Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Copyright - Timely notice

From: Willis Marti <wmarti () TAMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 08:46:18 -0600

I wish to avoid the discussion of whether the DMCA is constitutional.  My
question is whether there is anything in the law regarding the
"timeliness" of notices.  I am unaware of anything.

I just received two notices from the Entertainment Software Association
for suspected violations occuring on November 19 and November 21.  I do
have logs for one of the occurences (I suspect the other campus will not
still have the logs.)

I am inclined to respond to these saying "Contact us sooner".  I
especially like their letter's closing statement saying "Your prompt
response is appreciated." since they to a month to notify us.

Anyway - back to the question .. Is there anything in the law, or accepted
practice, that clarifies this ??

We have received notices in April for events in the previous December and
January and did not have DHCP records going back before the semester break.
I know of no timeliness requirement, but we let the lawyers tell them data
didn't exist.
--
Cheers,
 Willis Marti