Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Recommended Security Camera Equipment

From: Chad McDonald <chad.mcdonald () GCSU EDU>
Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 11:37:16 -0400

We've just installed about 80 cameras including fixed and PTZ units.
Siemens was our vendor, and the DVR's were GE, the cameras are GE or Sony.
Our DVR units use a combnation of coax, Cat 6, and fiber depending upon the
installation.  All units are viewable via the web (with software and
required authentication) and feed back in realtime via fiber to our Public
Safety office where we have the "control station".  Our control station is a
3X3 matrix of monitors, each capable of viewing each camera or combination
of cameras.  Additionally here we have the ability to program the PTZs or
move them as needed.  So far the system is great, barring some issues with
sub-contractors not pointing cameras or leaving lenses dirty.  The GE system
also allowed us to integrate our existing older camera systems easily.

Chad McDonald, CISSP

Chief Information Security Officer

Georgia College & State University

Office    478.445.4473