Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SPAM/spyware appliances or services

From: David Shettler <dshettle () HOLYCROSS EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:33:58 -0400

We're using an IPS for the spyware issue (presently evaluating Juniper's
Netscreen IDP, but I think we'll end up buying a TippingPoint in a
month).  Most now have signatures for the stuff and drop the traffic at
the inline point.  We've been dropping it since January through various
IPS evals, and have never received any complaints about adverse effects.
 Spam, we're all about the MTA (postfix/spamassassin/amavisd) -- so
can't be of any help there.

David C. Shettler - GCFA
Senior Technical Services Engineer
College of the Holy Cross
508-793-3073

dobbins () ND EDU 04/19/05 9:14 am >>>
Am curious to know who's using an appliance or an external service (as
distinct from software running on the MTA) to aggressively filter spam
for
their campus.  Additionally, do any of you employ products which filter
spam from email traffic as well as filter spyware from HTTP; who's using
what?