Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: SPAM/spyware appliances or services

From: Gary Flynn <flynngn () JMU EDU>
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 2005 09:39:07 -0400

Gary Dobbins wrote:
Am curious to know who's using an appliance or an external service (as
distinct from software running on the MTA) to aggressively filter spam for
their campus.  Additionally, do any of you employ products which filter
spam from email traffic as well as filter spyware from HTTP; who's using
what?

We just started using our Juniper IDP to filter some
of the more potentially damaging Spyware phone home
calls (key loggers, trojans, etc.). I don't have
enough experience with it yet to offer any conclusions.

The IDP also prevents some Spyware installations by
blocking some Internet Explorer exploits used for
drive-by installations.

For email, we just use the SPAM software that comes
with our Mirapoint MTAs. However, some of the MIME protocol
violations picked up by the IDP seem to fire exclusively
on SPAM or phishing messages.

--
Gary Flynn
Security Engineer