Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Handling SMTP for Roaming Users

From: "Cary, Kim" <Kim.Cary () PEPPERDINE EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 07:46:37 -0700

In Aug 02 we moved our 'intelligent' open relay to authenticated SMTP
with SSL/TLS.
We tell everyone with smtp clients to use this host and provide docs
outlining
how to do so for about 10 client applications on different platforms.
More than half
our students live off campus and many of them are carrying laptops they
don't own,
so this is the way to go and solves the travelling and POP/IMAP user's
problems.

This system works from on-campus and off.