Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Policy regarding servers on the network

From: Mark Borrie <mark.borrie () OTAGO AC NZ>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2005 09:34:22 +1200

At Otago we charge back all Internet traffic costs to each connected
system. This has meant that all systems that can connect to the
Internet have needed to be centrally registered for some years (In
fact policy dictates that all devices on the local net are registered).
We tie an account code to each IP.

When we introduced global port blocking for systems except for
registered servers we qucikly found out all our Internet visible
servers. Since that time we have tightened up on this and now
require these servers to register their services so that only the
needed ports are open.

Some departmental admins thought they could run their servers
securely with all ports visible from the Internet.  Two of the most
expensive security incidents over the two past two years were servers
that had all ports available to attackers.

Mark.