Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting Data-in-Transit

From: Valdis Kletnieks <Valdis.Kletnieks () VT EDU>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2005 13:15:22 -0500

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 12:07:24 CST, Kevin Shalla said:
I agree completely.  This reminds me of the signs around buildings during
the winter that say "caution falling ice".  These signs are placed on the
sidewalk, but no steps are taken to increase safety.  Perhaps they slightly
decrease the likelihood that a person injured from falling glass would sue
the building owner, but I doubt it.  I wonder if legal decisions suggest
that these types of disclaimers help defendants win their cases.

It's pretty well established that 'Beware of Guard Dog' signs help.

On the other hand, posting "caution falling ice" all year round at all your
organization's buildings, include your branch office in Panama, will quite likely
lose you whatever protection you had.....