Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Encrypting Data-in-Transit

From: Joe St Sauver <JOE () OREGON UOREGON EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 17:16:55 -0800

Michael asked...

#Curious as to what everyone is using to encrypt "confidential" or
#"restricted" data-in-transit that is being sent

Are you talking about session layer encryption (e.g., scp/sftp or ssl
based encryption) or content/payload encryption (such as pgp/gnupg)?
I'm assuming session layer...

For encrypting interactive sessions, ssh is a common option that
nicely replaces telnet. (Hearing you mention MVS also makes me wonder
if you need TN3270-ish functionality, or if straight VT100-ish
emulation is all you need... Yes? No?) There are a variety of ssh
clients that you can look at, depending on what sort of terminal
emulation support you need.

For securely moving files on Windows boxes, check out SSH Secure File
Transfer from http://www.ssh.com/

On a Mac, you can just use the command line scp command, or check out Fugu
if you prefer something graphical.

For email, many web email interfaces now support ssl encryption or
you can do TLS security for conventional client/server email applications
(you can see the programs we support for our users for secure connections
at http://micro.uoregon.edu/security/email/index.html )

When it comes to MVS support for ssh/ssl, I couldn't tell you, sorry.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Joe St Sauver (joe () oregon uoregon edu)
University of Oregon Computing Center