Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Marketscore and Higher Ed

From: Dick Jacobson <Dick.Jacobson () NDSU NODAK EDU>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 13:46:55 -0600

On Fri, 7 Jan 2005, Eric Pancer wrote:

.. and you will notice that the Admin Contact is the same as the Tech
Contact  which is the same as the Organization.  Makes it look like one
phone line (oops .. the fax number is Washington state) and one email
address.

Joel Rosenblatt wrote on Fri, 2005-01-07 at 11:42:09 -0500...

Just for the record, I contacted the GC office at Ernst & Young when we
first started looking into Marketscore.  They have certified that the
connection between the client computer and the Marketscore servers meet the
requirements for their WebTrust logo.  They had no official comment on what
the MarketScore company was doing, since that was not what they were asked
to check on.  They basically certified that when you "sign up" for the
MarketScore service, your data is safe.

Safe from who? Here's something fun:

$ whois marketscore.com

[snip]

   Technical Contact, Zone Contact:
      Marketscore Inc
      Marketscore Inc
      11465 Sunset Hills Road, Suite 200
      Reston, VA 20190
      US
      Phone: 312-775-6648

Hmm, they're in Virginia, yet have a Chicagoland telephone number.

Better yet, I'm 99% sure that's a cell phone number. And I've never
seen a company only offer email support for any reputable product
(sure, there's a few, but in reality, if you want to call a person,
you usually can).

--
Eric Pancer :.: Computer Security Response Team :.: DePaul University
http://security.depaul.edu/ .:`:.:':.:`:. epancer () security depaul edu