Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Marketscore and Higher Ed

From: Mike Wiseman <mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA>
Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 11:14:43 -0500

I did a little investigation (well, web surfing) of Marketscore's claimed privacy policy
which proved to be interesting.

On their home page is a WebTrust icon. Following the hyperlink is a report from the
WebTrust organization that says Marketscore has met the requirements of their 'WebTrust
Online Privacy' assurance service as determined by Ernst & Young. The WebTrust main
website http://www.webtrust.org/overview.htm lists four assurance services that they
provide: WebTrust Online Privacy, WebTrust Consumer Protection, WebTrust, and WebTrust for
Certification Authorities.

The latter one turns out to be the main trust requirement that Microsoft specifies for any
organization applying to have their root CA cert installed in their products
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/news/rootcert.mspx#EFAA .

I am not familiar with the details of obtaining these approvals or how they compare to
each other since I'm not an accountant. But I am beginning to feel assured that the
Marketscore is meeting a recognized industry standard in privacy protection.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Manager - Computer Security Administration
Computing and Networking Services
University of Toronto