Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Background Checks in Higher Ed?

From: Brian Eckman <eckman () UMN EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 09:33:35 -0500

Sadler, Connie wrote:
Hi...

I heard recently that some institutions of higher ed are now beginning
to institute background checks for some staff and faculty. Does anyone
do this - or know who does? I hear that some institutions do simple
checks (financial and criminal) for their security personnel and sys
admins (in key positions) and some do simple screens for their faculty
and staff. Coming from an industry background, I have seen this done in
aerospace and financial sectors (and some in health care), but not in
education. If anyone is doing this, I'd appreciate hearing from you.

Our Office of Information Technology, which has at least 300 people, has
required criminal background checks before hiring new staff for about
five years now. I do not know how many other departments are doing
anything similar.

FWIW, The form that prospective employees have to fill out is at:
http://www1.umn.edu/oit/hr/pdf/BackgroundCheck.pdf

Brian
--
Brian Eckman