Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Background Checks in Higher Ed?

From: "Drews, Jane E" <jane-drews () UIOWA EDU>
Date: Wed, 23 Jun 2004 08:30:56 -0500

Connie,
We are now doing criminal background checks on final candidates for
central IT positions meeting certain criteria. We also do credential
checks and reference checks for all positions. Here is a link to the
supporting policy doc
http://cio.uiowa.edu/hr/Documents/Background%20Check%20Policy.pdf   and
also to the authorization form we use
http://cio.uiowa.edu/hr/Documents/BGCauthorizationform.pdf  The program
was officially adopted after a one year pilot.  (I noticed that HR has
not changed the policy to indicate its no longer a pilot.)  This program
was piloted and subsequently implemented due to a *strong*
recommendation after 9/11 to do so by our state auditors.  Some other
high-risk units as well as our hospital are also doing criminal
background checks.

Jane Drews, CISSP
Information Technology Security Officer
CIO Office, The University of Iowa