Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Seeking RFP text for server and messaging cert mgmt services

From: Elliot Metsger <emetsger () JHU EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 23:02:05 -0700

Jere,

Jere Retzer wrote:
Good points, but why would you want a user to trust ABA, Autoridad,
Baltimore, Belgicom (he asks just reading down the list of root CAs that
comes with IE) more than Notre Dame? The idea that we should ask our
users to trust some company no one has heard of more than their
university seems a bit upside down, doesn't it?

Sure - for applications that face inward to the institution that makes
sense.  But then in that case the institution now has to manage a PKI,
which puts a concrete figure on "how much is security worth?"  It would
also require efforts on the parts of the IT shops in the institution put
the root certs on their desktop images.

And how good are the controls over what gets into the browser anyway?

Good question.  My guess is, if a vendor can pay enough money you'll get
your signing certs into the browser's list and be "trusted". :)

dobbins () ND EDU 6/15/2004 6:05:32 PM >>>

As we work to raise user awareness of security, one of the guidelines
commonly given is to not accept certs that the browser doesn't already
trust.  That's a coarse-grained advice, for sure, but training them to
at least be suspicious is a starting point.  So, conveying how and
when to differentiate between root-signed and "self-signed" certs is a
challenge for non-technical users - they want one rule for every case.

That, and sometimes it's not clear to all end-users how to import a
new root into, say, Thunderbird mail.  So, they either get angry, or
we dilute the "don't accept questionable certs" training.

Maybe someday, when the PK mechanism is better understood by the
end-user populace....

Jere Retzer wrote:

True, but is not appearing in the Microsoft-distributed list a

barrier?

Most folks are pretty casual about accepting certificates. If you

can't

trust ND, then who can you trust (except in football, of course)?