Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Seeking RFP text for server and messaging cert mgmt services

From: Jere Retzer <retzerj () OHSU EDU>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 2004 09:04:54 -0700

Does anyone roll their own root certificate as suggested in the Educause
best practices guide? This sounds like it might be the way to go. See

http://www.educause.edu/security/guide/EncryptionandAuthentication.asp

mike.wiseman () UTORONTO CA 6/15/2004 7:36:50 AM >>>
Our cert needs started out similarly - SSL certs for administrative
websites. The central
IT group purchased Verisign certs up front and were provided with web
management
capability to verify the requestor and handle internal chargeback. I
believe the cost of
the certs discouraged most academic departments from offering https and
so growth in their
use was low. This past year after some investigation we moved to Comodo
mainly because the
server cert prices are much lower and now there is more interest in
implementing https.
The reasons for the big price difference seem to be nebulous - my guess
is they have to do
with maturity in the CA business as well as the chained cert
technology.

Mike

Mike Wiseman
Manager - Computer Security Administration
Computing and Networking Services
University of Toronto