Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Seeking RFP text for server and messaging cert mgmt services

From: Bill Kyle <bill.kyle () JHU EDU>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 13:07:37 -0400

Gary,

I do not have a RFP. However, a couple of years ago I went through the process
of locating a vendor to meet our needs here at Johns Hopkins.

After all of the research into the different offerings from the vendors that
had products that met our needs (128 bit certificates) I chose GeoTrust. The
first order was for a block of 100 certificates with a one year life (from
time of issue). We supplied GeoTrust with a list of all of the domains
belonging to us. They do what they call pre-vetted domains... all domains
that we have registered with them will have an order accepted and put on hold
for our approval. We are then notified via electronic mail of the outstanding
order. We then log into GeoTrust to approve or reject the order. The nice
thing is the GeoTrust has a SOAP interface that will allow you to create an
internal web site that can totally automate the process and the user can have
a certificate issued as fast as SMTP can get it through the ques.

It only took us around ten months to use the first block of certificates. We
then purchased a block of 100 certificates good for two years (at an
additional cost savings). We are now on our third block of certificates.

We have found GeoTrust very easy to work with in meeting our needs. Adding a
new domain to our list of pre-vetted domains consist of faxing a letter to
their "Rapid Response Unit" (they require a signature for audit). They have
produced certificates for us with Subject Alternate Names for our mail
servers. These certificates with the Subject Alternate Names require manual
intervention by GeoTrust and do cost more. They are evaluating the market for
these certificates and looking at automating the process which will drop the
cost.

Over all we are more than pleased with GeoTrust as a supplier of SSL
certificates for us here at Johns Hopkins. Our sales person is Jen White
(781) 263-4134. Jen will be able to put you in contact with the correct
person if she is not the correct person. I believe the more people we have in
the educational field using GeoTrust the larger discount we might get from
them on their products. And, right now our cost is so much less that the
other vendors we consider the certificates "disposable" for test systems that
will not need them for the full period.