Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Impact of Patriot Act on Higher Education

From: Tracy Mitrano <tbm3 () CORNELL EDU>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 14:09:55 -0500

Friends:

On Tuesday, March 9, the Cornell University Office of Information
Technologies is sponsoring an all-day educational review of the impact that
the Patriot Act, and other anti-terrorist legislation, is having on Cornell
(and by extension, to a large degree, to all of higher
education).   http://www.cit.cornell.edu/oit/ucpl/patriot.html

One event, mid-day, will be a live broadcast (with archived video to follow
later that day) of a panel discussion with our Vice President of Student
and Academic Services, Vice-Provost for Research, and University Librarian.
(See web page for more details.)

Given questions about foreign student applications and tracking (see
today's Chronicle
story:
<http://chronicle.com/temp/email.php?id=s99t1rj01gpvqlwf6xd67unwe4apb08y> ,
the deleterious effect regulations have had on research using "select
agents" and electronic surveillance generally, we thought a discussion
concretely addressing these issues for higher education would be of general
interest.

Thanks, Tracy

Please excuse redundant messages that are the result of overlapping names
on separate list services.  Feel free to pass onto colleagues and friends!

607-254-3584
CCC, Garden Avenue
Cornell University
Ithaca, New York 14853