Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Student Charged with Breaking Into Roommate's E-Mail Account (26 February 2004)

From: "Galloway, Dan" <Dan.Galloway () VITA VIRGINIA GOV>
Date: Thu, 4 Mar 2004 08:54:45 -0500

I saw this article in a recent SANS newsletter. I thought the Security
listserv group might find it of interest....

--Student Charged with Breaking Into Roommate's E-Mail Account

Iowa State University student Nicholas Jensen has been charged with

breaking into his former roommate's e-mail account and sending phony

messages to people under the roommate's name.  If convicted, Jensen

could face fines and a three-year prison sentence.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-02-26-gay-mail_x.htm

[Editor's Note (Grefer): Given that the majority of mail servers still

do not require authentication of users sending mail, there's a chance

that the student could have sent these messages without breaking into

anything.]

Daniel C. Galloway, Jr.

James Madison University

Commonwealth Information Security Center (CISC)

Institute for Infrastructure and Information Assurance (3IA)

www.jmu.edu/iiia

Richmond Office: (804) 371-5186

Harrisonburg Office: (540) 568-1691