Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Administrative account access control

From: "Patrick, Stephen" <STEVE () BUMAIL BRADLEY EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Jan 2004 13:22:05 -0600

We have about 30 servers and large numbers of routers and switches that
are administrated by roughly a dozen people.

Naturally, we want a high secure environment for administrative access.
All these devices have different, difficult passwords.  It is not
impossible to remember all the passwords.  Also, we want to avoid the
situation where we can't fix a problem because no one is around who
knows a particular password.

I have been looking for solutions to provide secure access to administer
resources, provide a log of access, allow us to grant or restrict access
quickly and easily, etc.

I've been talking to Priva Technologies, but wonder if others have this
same problem and what they have done to address it.  What vendor
solutions are available?

Our environment is CISCO network, and VPN.  We have a Sun1 LDAP system
and also use Active Directory.  We have some Netware, but it is on the
way out.

Thanks for any insights you can provide,

Steve Patrick,

Bradley University