Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking P2P

From: Dick Jacobson <Dick.Jacobson () NDSU NODAK EDU>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 14:13:27 -0600

On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Steven R. Smith wrote:

For those of you that have responded that you do block P2P .. since P2P is
not illegal (and some argue a valid tool for file transfers) how do you
justify blocking the entire protocol without getting into the discussions
of "content managment" ?

On our Res Hall segment, the students have daily quotas.  If they exceed
their individual quota they go into a "slower" pool and share the
bandwidth with everyone in the pool.

We monitor bandwidth on the campus and will attepmt to educate any
individual that causes spikes.  Oftentimes in the course of this
"education" we also get to talk about copyright issues.  ;-)

While we have a little more freedom when we discover these violations
ourselves (Yes .. we get our share of notices from RIAA, MPAA, Sony, etc)
we still treat these as serious violations of policy, if not law.

Greetings.

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been addressed.  I'm
wondering what other Universities are doing regarding P2P traffic on
their student internet connections.  We currently do not block P2P, we
only throttle back bandwidth.  Accordingly, we get a steady flow of
copyright infringement notifications under the DMCA.  We're discussing
blocking all P2P traffic.  Is anyone else doing that, or what are you
doing, if anything, about P2P?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.