Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Blocking P2P

From: Chris Fontaine <chris.fontaine () HUMBER CA>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 12:42:55 -0500

The EDUCAUSE Security Discussion Group Listserv
<SECURITY () LISTSERV EDUCAUSE EDU> writes:
Greetings.

I apologize in advance if this topic has already been addressed.  I'm
wondering what other Universities are doing regarding P2P traffic on
their student internet connections.  We currently do not block P2P, we
only throttle back bandwidth.  Accordingly, we get a steady flow of
copyright infringement notifications under the DMCA.  We're discussing
blocking all P2P traffic.  Is anyone else doing that, or what are you
doing, if anything, about P2P?

Thanks in advance.

Steve.

We are indeed blocking it......

Our equipment is Netscreen IDP.

The argument surrounding the issue was a difficult one to win with the high
level administration, however, with the increasing number of cases involving
the RIAA and in, Canada CAAST (Canadian Alliance Against Software Theft), the
threat of legal liability allowed us to bolster support for the complete denial
of P2P traffic at our facilities.

The downside is the number of hits against the IDP from our labs and residence
halls, but the amount of bandwidth "saved" from the software bandits is worth
the trouble.........

Chris Fontaine

"Those who are different change the world, Those who are ordinary simply keep
it that way."
Chris Fontaine
Digital Information Protection & Security,

Humber College
Information & Technology Services
205 Humber College Blvd
Toronto, Ontario, Canada