Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Security in Small Institutions

From: "Elizabeth A. Sweet" <lizsweet () UMICH EDU>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 16:22:09 -0500

Rodney, I asked someone at Merit, our state network, to post this to
a list that folks from small colleges and universities in Michigan read.
-- Liz

On Monday, January 19, 2004, at 08:15 PM, Rodney Petersen wrote:

The Security Task Force continues to be interested in the security needs and challenges of small colleges and universities.  A recent report by the EDUCAUSE Center for Applied Research attempted to distinguish security issues between size and type of institutions.  Not surprisingly, a major finding was more security staffing and funding available to larger enterprises, especially doctoral research universities.  On the other hand, smaller institutions were more likely to deploy border firewalls and in some cases had better policies, practices, and security programs in place because of standardized and centralized environments.  We are holding discussion sessions at all of the EDUCAUSE Regional Conferences (http://www.educause.edu/conference/) this coming Winter and Spring to better understand security issues that confront smaller institutions.

I would welcome learning more about the security challenges and successes of small colleges and universities.  I am especially interested in "effective practices and solutions" for small college environments and learning more about smaller institutions that have successful security programs.  I would be especially grateful if you would be willing to share your "lessons learned" with others.  Please feel free to describe your experiences for the benefit of this list or contact me directly if you have any feedback or are willing to participate in ongoing Security Task Force initiatives.

Rodney Petersen
Security Task Force Coordinator, EDUCAUSE