Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Security in Small Institutions

From: Rodney Petersen <rpetersen () EDUCAUSE EDU>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 18:15:15 -0700

The Security Task Force continues to be interested in the security needs
and challenges of small colleges and universities.  A recent report by
the EDUCAUSE Center for Applied Research attempted to distinguish
security issues between size and type of institutions.  Not
surprisingly, a major finding was more security staffing and funding
available to larger enterprises, especially doctoral research
universities.  On the other hand, smaller institutions were more likely
to deploy border firewalls and in some cases had better policies,
practices, and security programs in place because of standardized and
centralized environments.  We are holding discussion sessions at all of
the EDUCAUSE Regional Conferences (http://www.educause.edu/conference/)
this coming Winter and Spring to better understand security issues that
confront smaller institutions.

I would welcome learning more about the security challenges and
successes of small colleges and universities.  I am especially
interested in "effective practices and solutions" for small college
environments and learning more about smaller institutions that have
successful security programs.  I would be especially grateful if you
would be willing to share your "lessons learned" with others.  Please
feel free to describe your experiences for the benefit of this list or
contact me directly if you have any feedback or are willing to
participate in ongoing Security Task Force initiatives.

Rodney Petersen
Security Task Force Coordinator, EDUCAUSE