Educause Security Discussion mailing list archives

Re: Password aging

From: "David L. Wasley" <david.wasley () UCOP EDU>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2004 10:03:54 -0800

Yes - the mole scenario.  Assuming the use never looks at the access
log file they might never notice.  However - how did the mole learn
the passwd in the first place?

If you make the assumption that the only way a mole could have gotten
the password is overtly from the user sharing it, then I don't think
requiring periodic changes adds anything to the security.  Requiring
changes whenever the password -is- given to someone else is another
matter.

Thanks,
       David

-----