Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Speculation

From: "Thomas Ptacek" <tqbf () matasano com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 11:20:38 -0500

We're not talking about what Dan says. We're talking about Dan's
appeal to gag other researchers who find the problem independently.

And while we're on the subject of Dan? CRY ME A RIVER, Paul. Dan got a
massive wave of press in advance of the Black Hat talk which occurs
just coincidentally at the EXACT RIGHT MOMENT for the Internet to find
out about the DNS finding. Dan's got a great talk lined up, and a
clever finding, and he's a big boy and he can deal with the hits he's
taking. He may deserve some of them.

On 7/19/08, Paul Vixie <vixie () isc org> wrote:
How about, and this is JUST AN IDEA, we have a system where something
 > other than a cabal of Paul Vixie and Dan Kaminsky deciding who gets to
 > know?

dan's the discoverer, and in the current model, the discoverer always gets
 to choose who gets to know.  i like this model, since i may be a discoverer
 myself some day, and besides that, i want to encourage discoverers to share
 responsibly, which wouldn't happen if the first thing that happened to them
 was some kind of gag order.  (i didn't decide who got to know; dan did.)

 are you suggesting that a world where the discoverer doesn't get absolute
 control over the method and schedule of disclosure would be better somehow?
 if so, can you describe that world, and explain why i'd want to live in it?

 (in case this isn't obvious, i havn't been enjoying the show.  watching dan
 get bitched for doing the best bug disclosure i've ever seen, really sucks.)

 --

 believed to be clean.

--
---