Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Speculation

From: "Paul Melson" <pmelson () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 2008 18:19:32 -0400

On Sat, Jul 19, 2008 at 10:22 AM, Paul Vixie <vixie () isc org> wrote:
would you have preferred that the attack vector be completely published on
day 1, rather than a cert advisory with details to follow a month later at
defcon, so that your recommendations could be completely informed?  note
that in that case it would also go in the wild before you could patch.  is
that what you want the next discoverer to do for you?

What you - and this is the collective "you" referring to the vendors
and researchers on both sides of this argument - seem to forget is
that secops folks aren't left with patching as our only option.  We
don't necessarily need a patch to mitigate, even if temporarily, any
particular risk.  However, these alternate strategies tend to require