Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: DefCon CTF

From: Jared DeMott <jdemott () crucialsecurity com>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2008 16:01:32 -0400

Doc Brown wrote:
On Wed, Aug 13, 2008 at 04:47:01PM -0400, Dave Aitel wrote:
One thing that was interesting this year at Defcon was CTF, which was a
bit of a blowout, even though the game itself was reasonably fair and
there were lots of good teams competing. At some point it would be cool
if school of root (the winning team) posted how they did it.

Team 1@stPlace enjoyed our 2 year winning streak, but we got sch00led
hard.  :)  I couldn't be happier to lose[0] to them, though.

As an outside observer of their team for many years, I think that SoR
finally overcame the classic "too many people" problems and didn't step
all over themselves like has happened for many teams over the years with
more people than can sit at the CTF tables.

Additionally, I think Kenshoto also raised the bar on the reversing,
which gave a (well-deserved) advantage to the stronger reversers.
I'm sure CollabREate[1] didn't hurt SoR either.

As a quick list, I'd say this year the main difference seemed to be very
well considered custom shellcode, excellent automation and tracking,
strong network defense, and some additional tricks that we have some
theories about.  I'd love to hear more details too.  :)

-Doc
Ya, from what I saw (and from what ChrisEagle said) skewl just brought out all the horses. With a 26 man team (to our 8-10) they were overpoweringly strong, and led by the master CE to bring down the house RE style. For the last couple years we've rocked as a balanced team and mastered things like automation, counter attack, defense, inline-snorting, and of course DRB with the RE power -- but this year more than ever break through points (first to RE and exploit a vul) was key -- score quick, score often. If the game stays the same, bringing a small army of reversers is possibly a strong road to success, especially if you've mastered the personal issues of large teams, and understand the rest of the game as well. Skewl rocks, and they deserved to win. I'm not at all suggesting that numbers was the only reason they won. Though, I wonder if Kenshoto will try and address the large team approach? I'm really not sure much can be done there, so I guess it's just one strategic approach? CE trains folks that move on to gov and industry, so now when he raises a call to arms, he can muster a sizable team that we might have trouble matching. Though, I suppose we could try that approach as well. I doubt we will though, I think our team has always felt that sleek and tight was better than big. Though if you tighten up big ... perhaps (obviously) you yield greater production?

jrod