Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: With great responsibility comes great power.

From: lyndon sutherland <lyndons () paradise net nz>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:02:12 +1200

The best? I think only history might hold the answer, but I don't think
it's a simple case of he with the largest budget wins. If you were to
think ebay, yahoo and Mafiaboy in the same sentence it should make some
sense. Surely, cyberspace could be reasonably viewed as the optimal
arena for asymmetrical warfare. Ingenuity of course comes to mind and it
seems there's still room for better mousetraps.

Along the same lines, I doubt Dave has the biggest R&D budget in the
industry, but he does pretty well don't you think.

Surely also, isn't actual defense arguably a more critical aspect? It'd
be rather disturbing to have a huge offensive capability, sitting on top
of swiss cheese infrastructure.

Lacking is a good definition of cyberwar. In cyberspace, it seems a
virtual butterfly flapping its wings is qualified as an act of war.

More seriously though, the paper "Cyber Warfare, An analysis of the
means and motivations of selected nation states" from Dartmouth provides
some insights:
http://www.ists.dartmouth.edu/directors-office/cyberwarfare.pdf
The paper is dated December 2004 so could be considered a little dated
but certainly in my opinion worth a read.

Quite an interesting subject.

Cheers