Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Is Windows Integrity Control in Vista really worth the performance hit? And does it really work?

From: "Rodrigo Rubira Branco (BSDaemon)" <rodrigo () kernelhacking com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:40:53 -0000

This kind of protection are needed to obtain an EAL certification level 4+
(or more)...

Capabilities like selinux exist in linux a long time and offer a little
impact in the overall system performance (but that impact exists)...

We need to first thing in windows we have more things to care about, so, its
more difficult to implement this type of protection (and for sure, more
performance impact are hit).

Linux solutions can be bypassed as well.  The main difference here is how
the solutions are implemented... To obtain an EAL xyz certification, linux
introduces the SELinux in the kernel, using the LSM framework... its more
bugged than great (who donĀ“t agree with me??).  But other ACL  mechanisms
exist for linux (for sure, without the complexity and resources offered by
selinux), like grsecurity (i like it).

Cya,

Rodrigo (BSDaemon).

--
http://www.kernelhacking.com/rodrigo

Kernel Hacking: If i really know, i can hack

GPG KeyID: 5E90CA19