Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Question of the day: iTunes + Watermarking?

From: Steve Tornio <steve () vitriol net>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:03:08 -0500

On Jul 11, 2006, at 9:14 AM, Dave Aitel wrote:

4. Instead, we have a time-based scheme, where every hour our signal
changes. We shove this signal into every song downloaded that hour
in a
way that survives mp3 [F1]
5. Given one song, we know within a population group of many millions
who it came from. Given 50 songs, we can identify the individual
account
and turn it off or prosecute (or remotely update their iTunes with a
special trojan if we can buy enough congressman to make that legal).

This would explain why two people who go out and get the song right
now
have the exact same song. But two people who are wildly different in
their download times don't.

I had a free song coming to me on iTunes, so I downloaded that song
again today and burned the test CD.  The md5 for the track stayed the
same.

For what it's worth, I agree that we should be skeptical of Jobs'
good intentions, and I wouldn't be surprised to find some variation
of the scheme you outlined to be in effect.

Steve