Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Question of the day: iTunes + Watermarking?

From: "Dave Korn" <dave.korn () artimi com>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 10:19:32 +0100

On 11 July 2006 02:12, Anton Chuvakin wrote:

I followed the exact same procedure, on my PowerBook and a co-
worker's Mac Mini, and received identical results.  I don't know why
the resulting hash is different from yours.  Each computer downloaded

So, what does this prove: watermarking or decompressing of the lossy
compression? I am not entirely sure why decompressing something which
was produced with lossy compression would decompress differently
thought... I would assume that if Ryan repeats his steps again he
would get the samew md5....

  It would be an interesting experiment to break both the files up into a few
hundred medium-sized chunks and compare the md5s of the chunks.  All we know
so far is that we have two identically-sized binaries with different md5s.  It
could be as simple as a timestamp in a file header that's the only difference
between them.

  Otherwise, I suspect it's time to start comparing FFTs.

    cheers,
      DaveK