Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Re: Exactly 500 word essay on "Why hacking iscool, so that Marcus changes his web site"

From: Drsolly <drsollyp () drsolly com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 18:57:30 +0100 (BST)

When I was running Dr Solomon's, policy was that we didn't hire virus
authors (or black-hat hackers) because:

A) They weren't very good programmers
B) You'd have to spend so much time checking that they weren't doing
something evil, the cost of employing them would be huge.

Although I don't think that any applied for jobs.

PS - As we watch the patch/exploit window shrink to mere hours, I can't help
but wonder how long until the IT vendor lobby goes crying to Congress for
relief (if they haven't already?).  Legislation and regulation for security
research* in the US may only be right around the corner.  Coming soon to a
Secunia mailing list near you: 180-days-to-full-disclosure

Why would 99% of folks care about some dumb US legislation? We already
know it's hazardous and hassleful to visit the US.