Dailydave mailing list archives

RE: Security Expert Certificates

From: "Stephen Scharf" <sscharf () atstake com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 09:25:34 -0500

I think the real question is why you want them and what are you trying
to achieve in your professional career. If you are a consultant, having
a CISSP can be an advantage when faced with a customer that buys into
the certification hype. It becomes more of a conversation stopper rather
than starter. If a client wants a CISSP then you have filled the void,
if they do not care (as most of them do not), it is usually not even
mentioned in the conversation. It is simply one more tool in your
arsenal for selling yourself. In most cases I would rather have a cert
and not need it, then need a cert and not have it (so sayith the NRA).

It is true that most people who get the CISSP cannot write exploits, but
then again the cert is designed for security management, rather than
security pen testers. Security is a large arena and writing exploits is
only one of the seating sections. If that is the place you want to sit,
and you are not a consultant, then CISSP might not be for you.

-Stephen