Dailydave mailing list archives

Re: Security Expert Certificates

From: "Matt Hargett" <matt () use net>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 12:23:55 -0800

Security is not just about writing the exploits.  It is, as you say, in
general knowing your shit about things in general.  I have met some very
smart people in my time in this industry, some can code exploits with
their
eyes closed and hands broken and others who can't but at least can
understand the concepts.  I always get a kick out the people who make fun
of
those who can't code -- coding isn't everything but it is a skill worth
having.

Unfortunately, one has to get used to this kind of retarded elitism in this
scene. I'm not saying everyone thinks/acts this way, but I think it will
always be present to some degree due to the personality types that the work
seems to attract. It is amusing to see people go on and on about someone
else's lack of a specific ability, and their proficiency in that ability --
you have to wonder what they're trying to compensate for.