Bugtraq mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-030

From: "Calanan, Michael" <calanan () gogstats org>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 15:53:40 -0400

Just to follow-up on this with a real-world example, we applied the v2.0
patch (dated 8 June) on an Exchange 2000 server, noticed the symptoms of
the original release of the patch (6 June), where store.exe was
consuming 100% of the CPU and opened a call to MS.  The tech had us roll
back the patch by hand, after which everything ran smoothly and notified
us that a new revision (v3.0?) of the patch would be released soon.

Unfortunately by the next morning we had to reopen the call due to the
fact that the Exchange server was again suffering from the same
symptoms. The tech notified us that he had just received an internal
e-mail announcement that the 3rd revision of the patch was available and
suggested that we apply it.  After doing so the Exchange server is again
running smoothly but of course "consumer confidence" is going to remain
low for the next couple of days until this patch proves it's finally
fixed.

At the time (this morning), the version of the patch was 4419.26,
although now I see their web site is reporting it is version 4419.27,
with the corresponding link to the patch returning a 404 error, so maybe
a 4th rev. is in the works?

- mike

Michael C. Calanan, Systems Analyst
mailto:calanan () gogstats org
Gynecologic Oncology Group, Statistical and Data Center at Roswell Park
Cancer Institute
Buffalo, NY