Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft Security Bulletin MS01-030

From: Paul L Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 13:10:41 -0500

At UTD we are running active-active clustering (a-a-c) with two virtual Exchange 2000 servers and a RAID array. We were in the process of installing Exchange 2000 on the second node, and the admins decided to apply this patch to the "active" node as well.

After application of the patch (this morning), stores.exe consumed 100% of CPU and Exchange became non-responsive. Some tasks timed out, while others could be performed but were quite sluggish.

We do not know if this will affect systems that do not use a-a-c. Stores.exe is a file used by a-a-c, and the patch detected that we were running a-a-c. There's nothing in the bulletin to indicate that the patch is not supposed to be applied to an a-a-c setup.