Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: More oshare testing.

From: ak8735 () BOX43 GNET PL (Dariusz Zmokly)
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 01:03:43 +0100

Hi !

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999, C.J. Oster wrote:

While testing the oshare attack a little more, I have found something that
you may find interresting.  Here at the university, many people are
[..]

Here are my observations :)

[ 2 series of attacks each of 20 to 30 trials ]
        linux with kernel 2.0.35 against win98 polish version
        linux with kernel 2.0.34 against same system another computer

[ Procedure ]
        Computer with windows was just started then I tried to send 10000 of
    oshare packets to him.

[ Results ]
        there is a 50 % chance windows is not vulnerable
        25 % chance win would reboot
        25 % chance win would show screen with 'Critical error message' then
        it would work but doesn't see network

[ Strange thing ]
        If windows wasn't vulnerable just after starting computer I found it
    sometimes vulnerable. That happend after pinging another computer from
    windows box. It looks like performing some network activity on computer
    with windows makes it more vulnerable.

greets
globi
/ unix researcher /
/ globi on irc channels #plug, #coders /