Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Large security hole in SGI IRIX 5.2

From: dcs () proton chem yale edu (Dave Schweisguth)
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 20:00:21 -0500 (EST)

Christian A. Ratliff wrote:
The [IRIX /usr/lib/desktop/permissions] hole comes from the authentication
being at the _dirview_ (an SGI directory browser) level. You can only pull
up 'permissions' when the menu item is not grayed out. If you run
'permissions' by hand, you eliminate that check and have root access to the
permissions on an file.

That isn't true here. If I run /usr/lib/desktop/permissions by hand and try
to do something I shouldn't, it asks me for the root password. There may well
be some way to trick it, but it's not that obvious (especially since I don't
use the thing; it's the boring half of chmod). IRIX 5.3, if it matters.

Cheers,

--
| Dave Schweisguth    Internet: dcs () proton chem yale edu   MIME spoken here |
| Yale Depts. of MB&B & Chemistry   Phone: 203-432-5208   Fax: 203-432-6144 |