Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Re: NFS packet blocking (Was Mouse EXPLOIT info...)

From: pwh () bradley bradley edu (Pete Hartman)
Date: Mon, 23 Jan 95 08:32:35 -0600

Pete wrote:

Solaris 2 crashes alot

My copy of 2.3 doesn't.

Karl wrote:

Solaris 2 is still pretty new code - I know the SVR4 code has been around
a long time but Sun have made many major changes to it, I'm sure.  Given the
complexity of the kernel and the age of the code, they probably havent done
too badly.

I was rather amused in reading the Sunsoft book _Expert C Programming
(deep C secrets)_ by Peter Van Der Linden claiming in his capacity as a
senior programmer to have seen Sun run Lint against the AT&T code and come
up with some 10,000 lint errors, all of which were allegedly fixed.  At
this point, Sun says their kernel lints clean, and I have no reason to
doubt it.

We have an AT&T SVR4 or two on campus, and they are LOUSY OS's; they make
Solaris *2.1* look like a wonder of reliability.

As for security, I agree with Karl; I have yet to see a Unix that meets
my criteria of "secure", bar none.