Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Sendmail 8.6.9 security hole

From: chris () rivers dra hmg gb (Christopher Samuel)
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 1995 11:43:13 +0000

In message <199502230035.AA26027 () charybda sovam com>,
        "Igor V. Semenyuk" <iga () sovam com> writes:

Does anybody know details of the security hole(s) in 8.6.9 fixed
in 8.6.10?

Is IDA sendmail vulnerable to these attacks?

I've had a quick scan of the patch to take 8.6.9 to 8.6.10 (it's all
I've got time for I'm afraid) and the changes to the IDENT service
appear to concern stopping people returning information that overflows
the buffer and/or contains new-lines.

It introduces two new functions:

1) CLEANSTRCPY -- copy string keeping out bogus characters
2) DENLSTRING -- convert newlines in a string to spaces

The interesting bit comes from the second, to quote:

+ #ifdef LOG
+       p = macvalue('_', CurEnv);
+       syslog(LOG_ALERT, "POSSIBLE ATTACK from %s: newline in string \"%s\"",
+               p == NULL ? "[UNKNOWN]" : p, bp);
+ #endif

Chris
--
 Christopher Samuel    Open Software Systems Group    chris () rivers dra hmg gb
 N-115, Defence Research Agency,  St Andrews Road, Great Malvern, England, UK