Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: Sendmail 8.6.10: what's different?

From: peter () haywire DIALix COM (Peter Wemm)
Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 11:07:13 +0800 (WST)

On Thu, 23 Feb 1995, der Mouse wrote:
cleanstrcpy(), referred to several times above, is like strcpy, but it
strips newlines and copies only a restricted set of characters:
letters, digits, and !#$%&'*+-./^_`{|}~ - why that set was chosen,
there's no indication.

Imagine if an "untrustworthy element" on your system supplied an argument
with a newline embedded in it, and it was then fprintf(qf, "%s@%s\n",
arg, userstring); to the queue file.

You can cause extra lines to be written into the queue files, of whatever
content you like, and if you choose correctly, you should be able to do
some pretty horrible things.

Actually, I like the approach of "explicitly listing what we know is
good", rather than "exclude characters that we know of that are bad" -
it's a lot safer to verify and has less suprises down the track.

-Peter

                                      der Mouse

                          mouse () collatz mcrcim mcgill edu