Bugtraq mailing list archives

Re: HP-UX Problem...

From: andrewh () cs hmc edu (Andrew Hughes)
Date: Mon, 20 Feb 1995 13:29:32 -0800 (PST)

Did HP ever fix the diagnostic program that was SUID root, and
would read any file as a directive file? I found it amusing to
run this, and have it report "blah is unrecognized" for each line,
where "blah" is the contents of each line, one at a time, of any
system file, regardless of ownership and mode ;-) I told the HP
rep that came in to do some performance tuning for us, but I
don't know what he did or did not do about it.

Assuming you're talking about sysdiag with the "usefile" command, it seems
to have been fixed as of DUI Version A.02.24, if not before (I'm just going
by the version info it prints out when run).  You get a SECURITY VIOLATION
error message or some such if you try to look at afile you shouldn't.  :-)

                                AndrewH