Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Question regarding the best practicies on information security structure within the organization

From: "vedantamsekhar () gmail com" <vedantamsekhar () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 05 Jul 2011 06:16:08 +0000

Hi,
As we all k ow aligning an org to info security requires entire org support top-down and not just the it or management.
We need to first identifying what is important to the businesss what needs to be protected. Octave is one such standard
that help in identifying crtical infomation assets and formulating the appropriate short time/long term mitigation
strategies. Octave-s is specifically designend for smaller organizations.

Another part to keep the infr secure. Probably you can STIG check lists or nist standarads help you harden the
applications secure. Yo may be also interested in having org wide vulnerabilty management programms to make the
hardening/patch as a hobitt. Nist has given good document for orgwide vulnerability mgmt process.

Rwgulatory requirements/sla's sometime dectacte your company to follow specific standards (PCI,HIPAA...etc).
DSCI(one i  know of) is coming out with a comprehensive framework which an organization follow.
Case studies are available at these sites, which might give you idea how other orgnizations helped from these standards.

Thanks,

Sekhar

Sent from Mobile