Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Question regarding the best practicies on information security structure within the organization

From: websicher () gmail com
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 10:21:01 GMT

Hi M.,

According to my experience the bigger a company is the lesser one is taking care of information security (other people
may have other experiences)

Of course officially it's always a "big topic", but oftentimes the only result is a high amount of self-defined
bureaucracy without no one knowing any details on e.g. the technology of websites they are assessing.

At least in my experience only in very rare cases there's a dedicated person / department available with technically
skilled people that decide which information security precautions are taken.

I've tested various websites in the pharma business with the result that most of them are medium - highly vulnerable
against web attacks. Therefore I conclude that IT security and associated processes oftentimes exist on the paper, but
that indeed they aren't "lived actively".

That's concerning bigger companies only - maybe others can post their experience with smaller companies or from other
perspectives.

BR
Pascal

Securing Apache Web Server with thawte Digital Certificate
In this guide we examine the importance of Apache-SSL and who needs an SSL certificate.  We look at how SSL works, how
it benefits your company and how your customers can tell if a site is secure. You will find out how to test, purchase,
install and use a thawte Digital Certificate on your Apache web server. Throughout, best practices for set-up are
highlighted to help you ensure efficient ongoing management of your encryption keys and digital certificates.

http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;4175;25;1371;0;5;946;e13b6be442f727d1