Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Password management System

From: "Samantha Fetter" <Samantha.Fetter () truevalue com>
Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2010 10:43:33 -0500

FYI - Novell Access Manager is different than "Novell Identity and
Access Management solutions".

Novell Access Manager (the links provided) is for fronting Web
applications only (reverse proxy), and doesn't do any password
management - it leverages eDirectory, Active Directory, etc as an
authentication source.  It can also do Federation to outside sides.  It
does also have an SSLVPN that allows granular access to internal
resources.
Novell SecureLogin is for SSO-enabling basically any sort of
application, including web, thin and thick-clients -
http://www.novell.com/products/securelogin/
Novell Identity Manager - Provisioning, Password Management, etc -
http://www.novell.com/products/identitymanager/

Cheers,
Samantha

John Morrison <john.morrison101 () googlemail com> 3/24/2010 11:34 AM

Depends on what scale you want to do this.

For enterprise scale Novell Access Manager can be used and runs on
Linux.
        http://www.novell.com/products/accessmanager/integrate.html
        http://www.novell.com/products/accessmanager/techspecs.html

Enterprise Single Sign-On
Novell Identity and Access Management solutions allow users to access
a variety of network resources through a single sign-on process. Once
users log in to any computer on the network, they are automatically
authenticated to the single sign on-enabled applications, databases
and operating system platforms they need—with just one login. These
single sign-on capabilities are also flexible enough to require more
than one type of authentication—such as fingerprints, tokens, smart
cards, strong passwords or any combination of these—to ensure
roles-based access to sensitive information. With enterprise single
sign-on, organizations can eliminate most password-related calls to
the helpdesk and allow IT administrators to focus on value-added
projects.

Password Management
Everyone recognizes the need for strong passwords, but without
enforcement, even the strongest password policy does nothing to
strengthen security. And yet, enforcement is difficult because
applications and systems interact with users in different ways, and
some don’t even have the capability to specify password
requirements.
Our automated approach to identity and access management allows
organizations to set and enforce strong password policies. Novell
Password Management stands between a user and her authorized
applications. When a new user is created, or when his credentials
change, Password Management validates the password against your
company policy, and then synchronizes the password to all other
systems. And easy self-service features increase user and IT staff
productivity because users can manage their own credentials rather
than calling the helpdesk to reset passwords.

On a more personal scale CyberCiti has some options.

http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/personal-password-manager-linux-windows-os-x.html

On 22 March 2010 21:15, Gichuki John Chuksjonia <chuksjonia () gmail com>