Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Full disk encryption options

From: aragonx () dcsnow com
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 11:35:59 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

Can you clarify why you need this behaviour in the first place (ie, under
what circumstances the server will be shut down)??

Mounting without manual password entry would be most useful in case of
recovering from unexpected outages, but this is the opposite of what
you're asking for. Occasional restarts for maintenance (in presence of
admin) wouldn't require such a facility. So, I conclude that you're
possibly talking about a machine which you shut down on (eg) a daily basis
when everyone goes home?

This machine is always on.  What I'm trying to protect against is someone
taking the hardware and then trying to recover the information on it.
Most of the time, I am remote and there are occasional power outages (for
which I don't have enough protection).  The machine is set to come back on
when AC is restored.  Therefore I would need the volumes mounted
automaticly.

One of the things that I am considering encrypting is the volumes that
store my email (/home and /var).  I think the machine will operate fine
without /home but /var (for the mail spool) might be an issue.  Especially
since it is my email server.

I like the idea of having another computer store the key.  However, this
computer would have to be at a remote location.  If someone steals one
computer, they would probably steal them all (at that location).  So far
this is the best solution I've heard.  Thank you.

---
Will Y.

--
believed to be clean.