Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Full disk encryption options

From: Alex Craven <krei () it net au>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 12:29:01 +0100

Hi,

Can you clarify why you need this behaviour in the first place (ie, under
what circumstances the server will be shut down)??

Mounting without manual password entry would be most useful in case of
recovering from unexpected outages, but this is the opposite of what
you're asking for. Occasional restarts for maintenance (in presence of
admin) wouldn't require such a facility. So, I conclude that you're
possibly talking about a machine which you shut down on (eg) a daily basis
when everyone goes home?

If this is the case, then what you're proposing is flawed since any
potential attacker would just need physical access to the machine once
it's been routinely shut down (which could be a rather long window by my
assumptions).

At any rate, without quite understanding what you're trying to achieve I
have two suggestions you may like to consider:

1) How about putting the machine into a suspend state rather than shutting
   down? That way the key can remain persistent in RAM until power is
   physically disconnected.

2) Otherwise, (assuming almost-always-on machines) you could consider
   placing a key file on another machine in the network (possibly in ram
   or on another encrypted volume) and using various signals to determine
   whether or not that machine ought divulge the key to your server on
   startup (specifics will depend on exactly what you want to achieve).

Cheers,
Alex.

On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 03:49:26PM -0500, aragonx () dcsnow com uttered: