Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Revising it [Vulnerability Scanning Doesn't Work]

From: "Siedelberg, Mike" <mike.siedelberg () us pgds com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:36:29 -0500

Hey man, don't you worry, this was a great post that resulted in a good
discussion which in turn brought up a lot of valid points.  There is
something about the idea that you are advertising your blog or promoting
your company that has some merit, but I never took your post to be that.

Probably a bad idea to use automatic posting to the list though.
Disabling that feature and providing a link seems acceptable.  When I
saw that part, I knew right away it would get negative response.

While your post may not be pertinent to everyone, as we share different
interests, no one is forcing anyone to visit that link.  I would rather
just exercise my delete key than miss such a good discussion.  There is
a huge volume of spam and such these days, people might be just a little
bit sensitive.

Here's the original message:

Greetings all. I've finished another entry on our blog. This time the
entry was about why vulnerability scanners do not work. It goes into a
little bit of detail and is intended for the average reader. My goal was
to help to educate people about what vulnerability scanning really is.

For the record, I did add the email address of this list to my blogger
so that entries are automatically posted to this list. If anyone is
against me doing that, or if that is a violation of the list policy then
please let me know and I'll stick with this method of letting people
know.  (I'm not sure if it worked hence why I'm writing this email).

Anyway, here's the latest entry:

http://snosoft.blogspot.com/2009/01/vulnerability-scanning-doesnt-work.h
tml

As always, comments are more than welcome.

I can't find anything objectionable with this aside from that automatic
posting bit.  Look at it like this, the members of this list are on here
to post and read.  Blogs are not members of the list and should not be
allowed to automatically post.  It's kind of you to want to help, but
provide the reference link and let folks make up their own mind whether
to visit the link (or not).

Anyway, keep up the good work, very much appreciated.  Let's move on...

G Mike Siedelberg
IT Security Senior Staff
Prudential Global Data Services
Desk Phone:  517-367-3546  Cell:  517-230-0922