Security Basics mailing list archives

RE: Vulnerability Scanning Doesn't Work

From: "Abe Getchell" <me () abegetchell com>
Date: Thu, 8 Jan 2009 09:49:34 -0500

Hey Adriel,

The title and opening paragraph of your blog post are quite misleading and
rather reckless. There is definitely a false sense of security that is sold
to some organizations by the developers of vulnerability scanning tools, but
that is the fault of the purchasing organization (due to a lack of education
and unqualified individuals making decisions), not those companies pushing
their product. It's a consumer problem, not a technology or process problem,
which you seem to describe it as in the bulk of your blog post.
Vulnerability scanning tools can have a wonderfully awesome impact on your
security posture if they're used in a manner in which they function
adequately; as a compliance tool. While I understand the sales aspect of
your blog post, what your customers (and any other organization
investigating this type of technology) should understand is that they should
not be "using a team of talented hackers for security testing instead of
relying on automated vulnerability scanners", but rather "using a team of
talented hackers AND vulnerability scanners for security testing and
compliance".

See ya,
Abe

- --