Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encryption Solution

From: Tom Ritter <tom () ritter vg>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:08:20 -0500

As far as the "flipping one bit doesn't trash the whole archive" part
- you may want to read up on Cipher Modes and Error Propagation[1]
Flipping one bit will always mess up the block that that bit is in.
Just the way encryption works - and why it's usually paired with other
integrity checks and error correcting.  Depending on the Cipher Mode,
that block may mess up many other blocks, or not.  And it also relies
on the program you're using being able to recover from this.

You may be able to get around this by using a stream cipher - I
actually can't recall any literature I've seen on using stream ciphers
to get around the error propagation issues with block ciphers now that
I think about it... so if anyone knows anything about that, please
reply to me or the list.

Anyway, two popular programs are gpg (which I've never used on a large
archive) and Truecrypt (which can make very large archives).  I am
unsure about how they recover from errors.  I think your best bet in
that area will be verified backups using a hash function.

-tom
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_cipher_modes_of_operation#Integrity_protection_and_error_propagation