Security Basics mailing list archives

Re: Encryption Solution

From: straticus1 () gmail com
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 09:55:45 -0700

I work in Financial IT for a firm on Wall St. In order to do this we use zip files that are wrapped with GPG or PGP
encryption, both suites of tools support very strong encryption up and beyond 2048-bit for a number of different
algorithms. You could also protentially do this with openssl, while I have never tested this on a zip file, but it
works for text, I use AES-256-cbc through the 'enc' function. But I know for sure GPG/PGP can do what you're asking, I
do this with 60GB client database files (Oracle Dumps) which are zipped.